"Building The Team"

I love to train my dogs and I love to teach people to train their dogs. I hope my students find as much joy being with their dogs as I find in being with mine!

"Before you teach skills & fundamentals, make people feel good about their abilities. Make them believe they can perform." Rick Pitino

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Coolhand Luc, Then and Now



These 2 pictures are of Luc at 10 weeks old and the first day I met him and he stole my heart.
Luc got his 3rd Starters Standard run last night and another Steeplechase run.
He is now in Advance standard. He has 2 Advance Gamblers, one more to go and he is up in Masters. He still needs one more Starters Jumpers and Snooker.
He has started to test his contacts and has self released a couple of times. He is very eager. That's ok... he reminds me to stick to my criteria and he needs to be reinforced for when he does them correctly. He also needs to have quick releases mixed in with times of having to hold them. This is also true for the start lines.
I have watched Rachel Sanders DVD Bridging the Gap, between Training and Competition for Contacts. Really liked her ground work and last winter Luc and I worked on the flat work without equipment. Then through the spring and summer transferred it to the contacts. I really liked what she does on this DVD. It made sense to me.
It was one of many components I used to teach Luc his contacts.

1 comment:

Papillon Penny said...

Such a handsome & talented guy! Of course the handler just might have something to do with his awesome skills! congrats to you!