"Building The Team"

I love to train my dogs and I love to teach people to train their dogs. I hope my students find as much joy being with their dogs as I find in being with mine!

"Before you teach skills & fundamentals, make people feel good about their abilities. Make them believe they can perform." Rick Pitino

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Thoughts

I read a quote from one of our Olympians, a skier,
'to be comfortable with feeling uncomfortable'
wow! that is so true. I say many times to my clients, if you are comfortable you are only practicing, uncomfortable you are learning.

A few years ago (4yrs) I was told I may have to stop agility. I laughed at them, said I think not! This time in my life was very uncomfortable, I pushed thru it.

I still get a knot in my gut every time I am learning new things. When this happens it makes me work harder to get comfortable with the uncomfortable.This is why I love AAC so much, it makes me push the envelope. I have physical limitations and I just say I will learn a way that makes it works for me.

I was with Kathy Keats just recently. She is one of the best instructors I have been too. It was 7 yrs ago when I attended my first seminar with her. She not only teaches the technical side of it, but gets into the dog / handler relationship and what you can bring out in your dog. This quote sums Kathy up for me!

"Before you teach skills & fundamentals, make people feel good about their abilities. Make them believe they can perform." Rick Pitino

Thanks Kathy, a teacher and a friend

1 comment:

Donna Brinkworth said...

Lynda, this is exactly how I feel! I love reading this on your blog! It is a wonderful thing to share with people. Also, I love the new look and colour.